Broadcast Time: 10:00am Date: Dec. 22, 23
The Sarnia Police Service wishes to warn local business owners of an increase in “smash and grab” type of break and enters. Five (5) small businesses have been the victim of this type of crime over the past two nights. These crimes are costly to business owners as they usually require the replacement of expensive glass and damage to property. Usually the criminal is only seeking a small financial reward, such as the theft of money left in cash drawers.
These occurrences have occurred along the London Road business corridor as well as the downtown area of the city.
Since many businesses may close down for an extended period over the holidays it is imperative that businesses take preventative measures to ensure their property is not a target of these types of crimes.
Businesses are encouraged to do the following:
- Do not keep cash on sight after hours. Open till to display to potential criminals that there is no cash available.
- Install security cameras and ensure they are operational.
- Install bright lighting to ensure that there are no dark areas around the property.
- Ensure that your alarm system is operational.
- Install window security film to make if harder to break glass or install metal bars or grates, if appropriate for your business.
Lastly, business owners, or members of the public, are encouraged to report any suspicious behavior near their business that may be an indication of a potential crime.
Staff Sergeant I. Skinn #166
Criminal Investigations Division